2022–2023 High School Journal Club
The 2022–2023 High School Journal Club will be held in-person.
An important aspect of the day-to-day work of scientists at Van Andel Institute for Research is to critically evaluate the validity of cutting-edge research. They must be able to work collaboratively to analyze, develop, and communicate creative solutions to complex problems while maintaining a “healthy skepticism” that keeps them from falling prey to accepting their work, or the work of others, without question. The VAI Journal Club is a process for scientific discourse that provides participants with opportunities to hone these skills while reviewing current research. In effort to promote these same skills in youth, Van Andel Institute for Education offers a High School Journal Club (HSJC) to students and teachers from multiple Grand Rapids area schools each school year.
HSJC brings students, their teachers, and scientists together in a forum for scientific discourse. Emulating the practice of VAI scientists, participants learn to collaborate and read, analyze, present, and discuss scientific journal articles in a format that is easily applied in the classroom.
High School Journal Club will:
- Foster interaction between high school students and VAI scientists.
- Connect and build relationships between like-minded peers.
- Build student capacity to think and act like scientists through scientific discourse.
- Increase student interest in taking higher-level science courses.
- Increase student awareness of careers in science.
The 2022-2023 program will be open for registration on June 1, 2022:
- Who: High school teachers and their selected students
*Please note: teachers enroll in this program and then select students to participate with them.Individual students may not register for this program at this time.
- Where: Van Andel Institute for Education, 216 N. Division St., Grand Rapids, MI 49503
- When: October 2022 – February 2023
- Time commitment: (5) six hour sessions; 1 session per month
*Teachers must also attend an orientation prior to the start of HSJC
- Class size: 28 students total
*Number of students per school varies based on number of participating schools
- Cost: Free
*Program costs are underwritten by Van Andel Institute