Five years of fueling discovery with cryo-EM
August 1, 2022
To understand life’s building blocks — the molecules that give structure to our cells, fuel our bodies and play integral roles in health and disease — we need powerful technology that allows us to see them in deep detail.
Enter cryo-EM. Short for cryo-electron microscopy, cryo-EM is a special type of technique and equipment that helps scientists zoom in on molecules in their natural state. The insights gleaned from these detailed images tell us how molecules work, how they interact with other molecules and how they might be leveraged to treat diseases like cancer, Parkinson’s and many others.
Five years ago, VAI installed a suite of these state-of-the-art microscopes. Since then, our scientists have made many important discoveries. Check out our video and the links below to learn more.
Five years of cryo-EM discoveries
- Molecular blueprint illuminates how plants perceive light
- Cryo-EM reveals how 911 molecule helps fix damaged DNA
- A “tasty” protein may lead to new ways to treat metabolic and immune diseases
- Today is World Tuberculosis Day. Here is what you need to know.
- Near-atomic maps reveal structure for maintaining pH balance in cells
- Atomic blueprint of “molecular machine” reveals role in membrane protein installation
- Near-atomic blueprint reveals inner workings of drug target for cancer, other diseases
See more discoveries powered by VAI’s cryo-EM here.