Student Ambassador Program
Sign up to be a Purple Community Student Ambassador
When you sign up to be a Purple Community Student Ambassador, you will be making a commitment to the following:
- VAI Purple Community Student Ambassador Signature Event — Work with your fellow Student Ambassadors to plan and execute one major fundraising event each school year, with support and mentorship from VAI Purple Community staff.
- Volunteer— Register as an official VAI Purple Community Volunteer. This requires a minimum of 12 volunteer hours per year and can be achieved in any configuration (several longer shifts or multiple short shifts). Our volunteers work in groups to support fundraising events in and around West Michigan.
- Events — Attend VAI Purple Community Signature Events throughout the year. These events include the Grand Rapids Griffins Purple Game, Whitecaps Purple Community Game, and Purple Community 5K. Student Ambassadors will also participate in our Purple Community Leadership Lunch & Learn held in the fall each year, where they will officially kick off the new year for the Student Ambassador Program, hear from guest speakers, learn about fundraising, and how to brand and market fundraising events at Van Andel Institute.
- Marketing — If you’re a social media expert, we need your help to share Purple Community promotional materials (digital flyers and postcards) through social media. Follow Purple Community on social media and share event information and updates with all your friends on the Gram, Twitter and Facebook!
- Generate Leads and Build Purple Community Network — Once you’re comfortable talking about what Purple Community is and how our program benefits Van Andel Institute, you will serve as an ambassador and help build the Purple Community network. You can host small events with your friends or discuss PC at school meetings, assemblies, pep rallies, etc.
- Monthly Student Ambassador Program Meetings — To make sure that you’re “in the loop” regarding what’s new in the Purple Community world, we would like you to attend a monthly meeting, held at Van Andel Institute or another West Michigan location. These meetings will be a way for you to learn new tips and techniques for executing your group’s Signature Event, meet other Purple Community members and learn about new events and activities.
Why should you be a part of the Purple Community Student Ambassador program?
- It’s an awesome way to connect with other young leaders from West Michigan, make new friends, network and build relationships.
- It’s a great way for you to earn volunteer and service hours you might need for high school graduation requirements.
- Being a Student Ambassador will give you real-life experience serving as a volunteer, event planner, organizer and committee member — helping to support Van Andel Institute — a world-renowned nonprofit, biomedical research and science education organization. Experience like this is also a great thing to put on college applications!
- You’ll have opportunities to serve as a Purple Community advocate during events and you’ll be able to serve as a spokesperson for our important mission.
- You will receive recognition on the Purple Community website and all of our social media outlets.