Ed-vengers Assemble! Working Together this Upcoming Semester
July 13, 2020
I’ve always been a fan of superhero movies. The action, the wonder, the themes of courage, truth, and justice. What can I say, I’ve loved this stuff since I was a kid. Superhero movies always have epic scenes to really drive home the narrative drama, and if I had to pick one of my favorite over-the-top superhero moments, it would probably be the final battle in Avengers: Endgame (*Oh, spoilers for Avengers: Endgame by the way*).
Anyone who has seen it knows what I’m talking about. The heroes have just been thrashed by Thanos. Captain America is injured and facing down an army of monsters. All hope seems lost. And then, out of nowhere, backup arrives! Every champion, wizard, and alien gladiator show up to turn the tide of battle, and it’s all capped off with that awesome catchphrase, “Avengers Assemble!”
Calling All Educators
So, what is the purpose of my nerdy reminiscence? Well, I can’t help but see the parallels between Endgame and what many teachers are facing right now. Its been a brutal spring semester which left most educators feeling drained. Now we’re confronting a school year filled with social distancing, remote education, and changing landscapes. One almost feels defeated before we even begin.
Just as in The Avengers, you won’t be standing alone. Educators everywhere are assembling to help one another protect their students, invigorate their lessons, and show COVID-19 it hasn’t won anything! The way to victory in the coming school year is by working together. We’ll need to lean on one another for support, take advantage of new resources, and not be afraid to try new things. We’re prepared to do our part, and trust me, we’ve got plenty of amazing tools to share!
Here are just a few tips and tools you can use to get yourself ready for the fall:
- Free Webinars: Looking for ways to increase student engagement with your lessons? What about giving constructive feedback? Maybe you just need help relaxing? Blue Apple webinars are fun, useful, and best of all, free to watch. We’d love to have you join us for one of our upcoming sessions. If you can’t make it, no worries! All webinars are archived and at your disposal.
- Tele-Teach: Worried that you still haven’t quite mastered remote teaching? Fear not, we’re here to help. Tele-Teach is a free 30-minute consultation with one of our project coaches—friendly teachers who are experts in inquiry-based and project-based learning. We take the content you need to teach this school year and brainstorm a project to address it virtually. With COVID-19 drastically changing our learning plans, we want to help you prepare for anything!
- Instructional Strategies: There’s nothing like a teaching hack to make your lesson memorable, meaningful, and fun. Whether your seeking to inspire creative and critical thinking, or simply want to build student collaboration, instructional strategies can bring a new dimension of learning to your classroom. Blue Apple has collected their favorite instructional strategies (aka teaching hacks) for you to try. Give them a shot and let us know which ones work for you.
- Blue Apple Projects: Perhaps the most frustrating aspect of the fall semester is that we have no idea what the education will look like. It could be remote, in person, or a blend of the two. Blue Apple projects are valuable tools. They can be completed either in person or through distance learning. The remote Prevent the Spread project can virtually teach students how to protect themselves and their communities from COVID-19. Whatever the new semester looks like, Blue Apple projects will have you covered.
- Flex PD: Maybe you’re searching for something that will help you build your own teaching style. Comprehensive flex PD is a good place to start. If you create your own model you can focus on ideas and techniques that matter to you. A mix of workshops, learning sessions, and ongoing coaching can put you on the path of becoming the kind of educator you want to be. It always helps when it’s affordable too!
Time for a Team Up
So, grab your cape and prepare to strike a pose. You may not be fighting alien warlords or clown princes of crime, but you’re still a hero in your students’ eyes. Use the resources at your disposal to prepare yourself for the first day of school. This fall will bring plenty of challenges, but together, I have no doubt we’ll save the day Edvengers Assemble!